Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”
The above a famous quote is by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, from his poem The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner. It is somewhat appropriate for all of us who know that we have and we need to drink water but we don’t. Why? Maybe because we aren’t thirsty at all times and maybe because we get lazy to take care and remind ourselves to drink water. Now is the time to indulge in some self love.
I have been on both sides. I was a person who neglected hydration to the core. Until I actually started seeing the ill-effects on my body. And now, I’m someone who takes this activity seriously. And believe me, water is actually the most magical drink ever created. But we’ll realize this only when we actually start having a good amount of it and experience the benefits. It improves the immune system, gives good skin and also aids in weight loss. Some say that the optimum level of water needed is 2-3 litres a day, a few say 8 glasses and so on. But the amount you should drink per day depends on your activity. You need a lot more if you are into some rigorous activity and vice-versa.
There are a few things that have helped me make this transformation. I’ll share them with you so that you can remind yourself to drink water. I hope you find them useful.
- Number one is to make a routine. Do we forget to brush our teeth in the morning? Do we forget to take shower? No, because we’ve made a routine out of it. Just like that, start drinking water the first thing when you wake up. Your body is already dehydrated after a long night’s sleep. It needs hydration. So have a water bottle on your bedside table and have it first thing as soon as you wake up.
- Now, number two is to have a water bottle everywhere you go. Have a small one in your handbag and one on your office table if you don’t work from home. If such things stay in front of our eyes, they work as a nice reminder.
- Do you have green tea? If yes, then you must know that it is a diuretic. It causes an increased passing of urine. That way too, your body loses water. So every time you have green tea, have a glass of water ‘after some time’. And if you are someone who doesn’t have green tea, you can do one thing. Form a habit of having a glass of water half an hour before every meal.
- Talking about a natural alarm, have a glass of water every time after you use the washroom.
- And finally, a digital alarm. We set a lot of alarms for so many different things. Then why not for this? If you can’t remember you have to drink water, then use this method. Set them for every few hours so that you get reminded to drink water. And slowly and steadily, you’ll stop needing these timely reminders with practise.
So yes, this is it for today. If you have any other tip, let me know in the comments below. 🙂